ITmeze - IT world server like cyprus meze

Recent blog posts Tagged 'firefox'

Debugging silverlight in Firefox and Chrome


Well, it seams that war between Firefox and Chrome in my life is not over yet, despite brave decision I have made.... I was forced to write small widget in Silverlight, and to be honest I was having hard time debugging it in visual studio - somehow, I couldn't hit any breakpoints. Well shit happens. After an hours spend on that i've decided to change browser to IE thinking - Microsoft products goes well with Microsoft products. I wasn't sure about that but surprisingly, it worked. After some time of googling I managed to find a solution for firefox: 1. In Firefox address bar type "about:config" and accept warning 2. Change value of the entry "dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npctrl.dll" to "true" 3. Restart Firefox It worked just great. I still haven't managed to find a proper solution for Chrome browser. I guess until I am ready with this widget Firefox has to be my temporary browser... eh ... Anyone with Chrome fix/workaround?

Tags: [chrome] [debugging] [firefox] [silverlight] [web development]

Browser and self closed script tag...


I keep on doing that thing for every new project. i simply make script tag self closing, like on the example below:
<script type="text/javascript" src="" />
Browsers may behave in really strange way - just for Your curiosity - try to run it common browsers. It looks like Chrome is less immune to this than IE and Firefox. And it comes with explanation:
XML self-closing tag syntax used on <script>. The tag will be closed by WebKit, but not all browsers do this. Change to <script></script> instead for best cross-browser compatibility.
So - for Your own safety, do not use self closing on script tag. Thus anyone of You know why not all major browsers just ignore this? I know that it is 'my' bug cause according to html specification i shouldn't selft close it. But we are all humans, making mistakes is in our nature...

Tags: [chrome] [firefox] [script] [web development]

Google Chrome has finally become my first browser!


Chrome... It has taken some time. I have tried to follow all the changes made since the first version. I have decided to give it a try from time to time. Each time new major version was released I promised my self to spend at least few days with Chrome as my default browser. Till version 3.0 or 4.0 Chrome was far far behind Firefox - lack of extensions made web browsing a little bit annoying. After that, when I was finally able to use gmail/wether/translate extensions i was using it more and more often. But still,each time I had to made some web development I was going back to firefox with it's unbeatable (till recent) add-on: firebug. Since latest stable Chrome (6.0) i use it even for web development. I have found firebug making my ajax request unstable, and all the embedded developer tools work like charm. There are still few (but just a few) things that i miss from firebug but in overall i am perfectly happy with all Chrome offers and how it saves CPU and memory (comparing to Firefox).

Tags: [browser] [chrome] [firefox] [web development]

Firefox 3.0: 411 Length required with JQuery


I am currently working on a small project for my own. My favourite (and the only one tester) was complaining on some of "ajax" features. Tests were done with use of Firefox 3.0 - I was developing on Firefox 3.5 and had absolutely no problems with those problematic features. Anyway I decided to check this out an downloaded 3.0 version ( most recent is 3.0.11). You can have multiple instances of Firefox on Your machine - just make sure You install them in separate directories. Then the best would be to create different user profiles - like one default and one for testing. You can manage profiles using :
firefox.exe -ProfileManager
And then You can run prev version by:
\path\Firefox 3.0\firefox.exe -P test_profile -no-remote
Having this set up You can test in Firefox 3.0. I was able to reproduce error and check what is going on in firebug. I was receiving HTTP 411 error, which says:
Your Web server thinks that the HTTP data stream sent by the client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) should include a 'Content-Length' specification. This is typically used only for HTTP methods that result in the placement of data on the Web server, not the retrieval of data from it.
It looks like jQuery (1.3.2) ajax calls with data parameter set to 'null' was causing this to happen. Simple solution for me was to set '{}' as data parameter value instead of 'null'. Moreover, You can change method that I already mentioned about, postJSON with this fix:
$.postJSON = function(url, data, callback) {
     if(data == null)
         data = {};
     $.post(url, data, callback, "json");
BTW I already use Firefox 3.5 during development - it consumes less resources than previous versions () so I strongly recommend upgrading to newest version.

Tags: [firefox] [http] [jquery] [web development]

Copyright 2013 © ITmeze